The holidays are a time to reconnect with family and friends, but they also can present seasonal safety hazards. Being aware of fire safety can have a big impact in helping to keep you and your home safe while decorating during the holidays.
Candles and Fireplaces
The National Fire Protection Association reports that one-third of home decoration fires are started by candles and that two of every five decoration fires happen because the decorations are placed too close to a heat source.
- Avoid using candles if possible. Consider using battery-operated ones.
- Mantels are beautiful when covered with stockings and greenery. But these items are flammable. If you use your fireplace frequently, consider hanging these decorations somewhere else.
- Be sure to check the Christmas tree — make sure it has plenty of water and it isn’t near heat sources.
- Place candles where they cannot be knocked down or blown over and out of reach of children
- Keep matches and lighters up high and out of reach of children in a locked cabinet
- Don’t burn trees, wreaths, or wrapping paper in the fireplace
- Always use a screen on the fireplace when a fire is burning
- Never leave candles or fireplaces burning unattended or when you are asleep
- Check and clean the chimney and fireplace area at least once a year
Cooking and Dining
Even with all those Christmas tree fires, cooking equipment is the leading cause of home fires and injuries. According to the NFPA, many fires occur on Thanksgiving and Christmas day. Here are some holiday fire safety tips:
- When cooking, pay close attention to what you’re doing and your surroundings.
- Keep a fire extinguisher close by.
- Be sure you have smoke detectors at least 10 feet from your stove and test them monthly.
- Educate yourself on kitchen safety
- Always have a cook in the kitchen. Don’t leave stove burners or the oven unattended.
- Occupy the kids away from the kitchen- too many hot appliances and dangerous utensils!
- Keep any towels, potholders, and other flammable items away from the stove and other heat sources.
Our team at Evolutions Safety Resources cares about not only your safety at work but also your safety at home. If you’re interested in learning about the steps we take to ensure safety and compliance in the workplace, let’s get the conversation started today. Our experts at ESR are ready and available to help. We offer free consultations and will develop complimentary improvement plans.